domingo, 27 de junho de 2010

Arrival in Bukavu - DR Congo

Je suis déjà à Bukavu, arrivée tôt ce matin. 

Bukavu is extremely beautiful, I am amazed, the lake gives the city the perfect setting – it is like an idyllic scenery with lakes, green hills and islands..
My travel went without complications - I went through Brussels, Kigali and slept there last night. The city was surprisingly well-organized and safe for an African capital - and my guest house smelled like flowers. Magic - and I stayed with the hotel staff to see the victory of Ghana against the US! The next morning, I took a flight from Kigali (Rwanda) to Kamembe, which is in fact 20min away from Bukavu but in the Rwandan border. Bags all right, drivers waiting for me, and no trouble at the immigration. I was fearing some sort of corrupted border and customs control, them stealing the alcohol and chocolates I had brought as a gift for the IRC staff but no, nothing. Everyone was friendly and professional.

For the moment I still haven’t Internet at home because it is brand new, but my room is huge with a beautiful view to the South Kivu lake. I am really surprised with the quality of the infrastructure - I have all the comfort: hot water, TV flat screen, a driver 24/7 and even a cook! Couldn’t imagine it like this. The downside of course is the security precautions: I can’t walk anywhere by myself, have a radio through which I have to give my coordinates every 6 hours, and this week – due the Congo celebration of its 50th year of independence – can’t even go to the office, have to work from home. But can’t complain.. I was careful enough not to expect anything – for fear of disappointment – and I have to confess that everything up until now is going far beyond my wildest expectations.

Of course, I only have seen a little and haven’t gone to the field yet – but just to say that the atmosphere looks promising, and I feel very excited.
It is funny to think that for years I had imagined my life and myself in a certain way and now I am living it… I feel very lucky

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário